Last week’s shop project was making a one-piece neck out of cherry for a customer. He brought the wood he wanted it made from and the pot is is to fit, and we went over all of the details so it could be made to his specifications. The fretboard is curly maple and the peghead overlay and heel cap are birds-eye maple. He is going to do some staining and other finishing work this week and then bring it back to me to put in the frets and tuners next week. I have always made my banjo necks in three layers so it was a fun change to make one out of a solid block. I used the Shopsmith as a line borer to drill the mortise in the heel for the dowel stick and I turned the dowel stick tenon on the lathe. I’m looking forward to seeing what it will look like when the customer has done the staining and such.