This was the busiest July I’ve ever had in the shop, with 6 banjos and a neck on the agenda. The first one was #158, a walnut 12″ with a Dobson tone ring and John Balch head from Balsam Banjo Works and a radiused fretboard.
Next was #159, a curly maple and hickory banjo uke with an 8″ pot, made to fit in one of Bob Smakula’s uke cases. I made a banjo uke neck for an old pot way back in the dim past, but this was the first complete banjo uke I have gotten to make. The customer requested any odd wood I had, so I used some curly maple with dark sections in it.
My last custom banjo in July was #160, a 10″ walnut C scale with a persimmon fretboard and aged hardware.
I also built a mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard for an existing pot that was mailed to me by the owner.
Banjos 161 through 163 are shown on the Banjos page, they’re all 12″ and made from various woods. In August I have three custom banjos to build and am planning to make two stock banjos. The octave mandolin project is almost done, I just need to do final sanding, finishing and setup. I’ve been moving pretty slowly on it, but the end is in sight.