August was a good month, though it got a little frantic as it tends to do with things coming in from the garden. My first project for the month was to put the finish on the octave mandolin and set it up, I’ve been working on it a little at a time for the last few months so it was nice to get it done. It’s shown on the Mandolins page.
I custom made a couple of plywood backed flat disk resonators after a failed attempt to make this design out of solid wood. The customer always does his own finishing, and does a very nice job at it. He kindly sent me some pictures once the finish was applied.
I made 4 banjos during August, the first was #164, a custom walnut C scale banjo with a 12″ pot, a large scoop and 12 frets. One of the fun things about making custom banjos is seeing how different people use their banjos, and how they want them made to facilitate those uses.
Next came banjo #165, which is a mahogany A scale slot head. It was ordered to be an A scale version of #31, which is on the Banjos page, with a few other minor changes. It has an aluminum tension hoop.
Next to be completed was #166, a stock banjo which is shown on the Banjos page.
My last completed job for August was #167, a custom walnut 12″ with aged hardware, a veneered block rim and Rocklite Ebano trim. This is the first banjo I have sent to Canada, though I’ve sent a few to countries that are further away.