My first project in August was carried over from the last few days of July. I made two left handed necks for one customer, to fit a couple of nice old pots.
Then it was time for a batch of 4 banjos. Banjo #223 was a bit of a departure from the usual sequence of construction. I made a 12″ cherry rim to order a few years ago, and the customer bought all the hardware and drilled the rim, and fitted a long neck to it that he had. This summer he wrote to see about having me make a neck to fit it. He sent the pot back, and I added a rim cap and made a neck. Usually when I make a neck for an existing pot I don’t assign the result a banjo number, but in this case since I had made both the rim and the neck I did. The customer had done a nice job with the work he did on the rim.
#224 was made for the owner of #164, which I made in August 2020, and is a mirror image of it, in a sense. This banjo is made from curly maple with walnut trim, #164 was walnut with curly maple trim. Otherwise the specifications are the same, 12″ C scale with 12 frets and a scoop.
Banjos 225 and 226 are shown on the Banjos page. My plans for September involve 2 custom banjos and a neck, as well as cherry cello and A and C scale banjos and a walnut 12″ with a Whyte Laydie tone ring. So far I am not too far behind schedule for the month, and I am hoping to get a bit more shop time and catch up the rest of the way soon.